Thankgiving and Your Pet
Thanksgiving is a time for people to indulge in yummy foods and sweet treats, but be cautious of letting your pets get into the Thanksgiving feast!
Many foods that are prepared for Thanksgiving gatherings can be harmful or dangerous to our furry friends. If you have a question about whether to let your pet have a taste of people food- contact your veterinarian or refer to the charts at the bottom of the page.
Popular Thanksgiving foods to NOT feed your pet:
- Under-cooked meat(s)- this can contain life-threatening Salmonella bacteria
- Bones from any animal- consuming bones can cause GI upset or diarrhea, or can cause an emergency situation like a bowel obstruction or can be a choking hazard.
-Grapes/Raisins- these are TOXIC to pets and can cause kidney failure if a substantial amount is consumed
-Homemade or Store-Bought Sweets (Cake/Pie/etc)- Any sweets can contain an artificial sweetener called Xylitol which is deadly to our pets, chocolate is toxic to our pets also.
The list of foods your pet should not consume above is just a few popular ones out of many. For a full list of people foods your pet should stay away from Click Here.
Popular Thanksgiving foods your pet CAN eat:
** These should be used as treats only and overindulgence can cause Gastrointestinal upset, vomiting, or diarrhea. **
- Unseasoned, Well Cooked, Boneless turkey/chicken -
- Plain Pumpkin - NOT pumpkin pie filling as it can contain Xylitol or other toxins
- Sweet Potatoes - Unseasoned, plain.
- Green Beans - Unseasoned, plain
- Cranberries - Plain
- Carrots - Plain or cooked
- Apples - Unseasoned, Plain or cooked